07 November 2014

A few days in Portland, Maine

I am so far behind on updating you guys about recent travels! Way back in September, I was in Portland, Maine for a few days... It was my first time visiting the state, and I loved it just as much as everyone promised!




Despite the trip being for work, I had a bit of free time to take in a lot of the sights and eat some of the best seafood I've ever tasted. Super bonus-- I had an amazing view of the waterfront from my hotel room! We stayed right near the harbor in the Old Port section of Portland, which not only had historical charm (think cobblestone streets and old brick buildings) but also was convenient to bars, restaurants and most importantly, the one of a kind boutiques.

The not to be missed Motifs secured its spot as my favorite store in Portland. The shop has a Parisian flea market like feel and is chock full of unique homegoods, cozy sweaters, funky jewelry-- I could have browsed in there for hours! It's the kind of shop I've always dreamed about owning.



The highlight of the trip was a lobstah' bake at the Inn on Peak's Island. This island is about a fifteen minute ferry ride to Casco Bay. At two miles long and one mile wide, with 1,000 year round residents, it's definitely quaint! The lobster was seriously some of the best-- maybe even the best I've ever eaten!



Coming in a close second on the list of highlights-- morning runs by the ocean. The air was crisp. I spotted lots of birds along the Eastern Promenade, a trail that follows the ocean on one side and railroad tracks on the other. It was only after I returned from Maine that I found this awesome Maine Trail Finder tool complete with pictures of the gorgeous landscape. I can easily understand why people there are so active outdoors-- it has some pretty awe-inspiring scenery. (By the way, November 17 is National Take A Hike Day. Check here for some ideas where to "get lost"!) 


I've already decided that the Sailor and I must go there together sometime soon (...post winter).I already have a list of restaurants I'd like to try, including the award winning Fore Street Restaurant, which happened to be right next to our hotel. I'd also like to go back to the Old Port Sea Grill & Restaurant for the chowder -- so good I didn't even feel guilty that it was not even remotely healthy. And the Sailor, of course, is on board with the idea of visiting Portland so that he can do a tour of the breweries. I brought back a sample-- Maine Beer Company's Mean Old Tom, a coffee, chocolate and vanilla flavored stout, and it was delish!




More trip recaps coming! I was in Washington, DC again in October and most recently the Long Island coast. And throw in a day trip to the pumpkin patch in Connecticut and some outlet shopping in Vermont.


Other recent travels:
Baltimore
St. John
Woodstock, VT

Lake Placid
      Weekend Getaway
      Loving Lake Placid
      Hotel Fancy: Lake Placid Lodge
      Beating Cabin Fever
Nantucket
     Nantucket Noel
     ACKommodations: The White Elephant
     ACKommodations: The Chapman House
     snACK attACK: BoHo and American Seasons
     Stripes on the Horizon
     The Loot

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS