24 September 2013

SnACK AttACK: BoHo and American Seasons

I'm no big fan of change. Maybe that's why it's so surprising that I tried not one, but two new restaurants when I was on Nantucket last weekend. If you've been following this blog for any length of time, you'll know that I think Nantucket has some world-class restaurants including my former favorite, Topper's at the Wauwinet, as well as The Galley, Lola 41, Straight Wharf and The Pearl, all detailed here. So given just a couple of nights, I was torn about where to go. Too many choices!





I got my requisite lobster roll for lunch at the White Elephant, while catching some rays and watching the boats come into the harbor. 



After indulging in the lobster roll and a White Elephant cosmo (random), I was still pretty full at dinner time. I was craving something light and fresh so, feeling adventurous, I tried the Boarding House (BoHo), an award-winning farm-to-table restaurant located right in the historic district. 

Maybe it was these photos that grabbed me when I visited their website:









I had the fresh spring greens salad with hazelnuts, radishes, tangerines and pecorino, and for an entree, I had the halibut with farro, zucchini ragout, sweet carrot purée, and fennel vinaigrette-- out of this world!

While at BoHo, I met a few people who were visiting the island as part of a book club. The group was reading Nathaniel Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, a story that begins on Nantucket and inspired Moby Dick. Last time the book club met, they read Into the Wild and went camping. What a fun idea for a book club with "field trips"... but I think I would have opted out of the camping excursion! Anyway, a couple of the book club members raved about a restaurant I'd passed by a million times when walking or running. Tucked into a residential neighborhood at the edge of town, I never thought much about going there for dinner. Heck,. I'd even stayed in the B&B across the street from it many years ago, and it still wasn't even on my radar.  After they insisted multiple times that American Seasons was the best restaurant not only on island but anywhere, I figured I'd give it a try. And it was hands down the best food I've ever eaten.


Romantic, rustic ambiance on the patio
I struggled trying to decide what to order since everything on the menu looked delicious -- Talk about creative! The chef is genius. I was tempted to get the beet salad since beets are one of my favorite foods, but I tried the carrot terrine and the sirloin.  I'm no foodie, so I won't even try to describe the flavors and my delight. There's just no way I can do it justice.

                       








Photos from Yesterday's Island

Check out this menu!

APPETIZERS

Cauliflower Soup
Meatballs, Currants, Almonds, Sage And Sherry Vinegar

Rye Cavatelli
Duck Confit, Hen Of The Woods Mushrooms, Hazelnuts, Orange

Bartlett’s Beet Salad
Brown Butter Cream Cheese, Poached Pears, Bulgar Wheat, Arugula

Kimchee Pancakes
Smoked Gulf Shrimp, Seasame Buttermilk Dressing, Grapefruit

Bartlett's Farm Greens
Pecans, Buttermilk Blue Cheese,  Apples

Day Boat Scallops
Boudin Noir, Butternut Squash Veloute, Cider, Pickled Apple

Carrot Terrine
Burrata Cheese, Dukkah Spice, Date Puree, Pickled Carrot, Petite Greens

Pork Belly
Crispy Oysters, Popcorn Grits, Pickled Chili, Red Onions

Pressed Spanish Octopus
Fried Olives, Eggplant Caponata, Squid Ink Aioli

ENTREES

Painted Hills Farms Sirloin
Shortrib Ragout, Bone Marrow Bread Pudding, Creamed Spinach Puree, Cipollinis

Suckling Pig Confit
Bourbon Soaked Prunes, Carolina Rice “Middlins”, Collard Greens, Crab Apples

Tobacco Rubbed Duck Breast
"Foisage", Granola, Corn Veloute,  Huckleberry Vinaigrette
 
Cod
Lentils, Bacon & Ale Vinaigrette, Lemon, Parsley

Wild King Salmon
Hush Puppies, Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Chantrelles, Parsnip Puree, Maple

Soft Polenta
Organic Duck Egg, Roasted Roots, Fall Mushrooms, Smoked Onion Broth, Cheddar

SIDE DISHES

Popcorn Grits & Gravy
Collard Greens & Fried Pickles
Brussels Sprouts, Pimento Cheese & Pecans
Fall Vegetables
Beluga Lentils & Smokey Bacon
Pigs Ear Fries, Chili, Cilantro And Lime
 

The only disappointment was that the Sailor was still living it up at the game in Wisconsin and wasn't able to join me. Problem solved-- I suggested that we go back for the Christmas Stroll in a couple months so he can experience American Seasons! They begin taking reservations for Stroll weekend on November 1st, and you better believe I already have the number saved as a favorite in my phone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS