18 March 2013

Lean and Green

I know I'm not alone when I say that McDonald's Shamrock Shakes are one of my favorite treats this  time of year. Pure deliciousness. 

McCafé Shamrock Shake




Or rather, Shamrock Shakes used to be one of my favorite treats until I found out that a SMALL has a whopping 500-plus calories. Yowzah. I fortunately was able to find a recipe for a "healthy" alternative-- a Shamrock Protein Shake. It's not nearly as creamy as the real deal, but I don't feel an ounce of guilt after savoring every last drop. 





(You may read the ingredients and think, "Ewww!" But I was pleasantly surprised-- even though my shake looked like the Green Monster disaster, it was pretty tasty!)

1/2 Cup low fat cottage cheese 
1/4 cup Vanilla or plain protein powder 
1/8 tsp Mint extract (Don't make the mistake of using more! I did the first time...)
2-3 Packets of stevia or sweetener of choice (or to taste)
5 Ice cubes 
4 oz Water 
Handful of spinach to make it green
1-2 tbs Sugar Free Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
Pinch Guar or xanthan gum
(I skipped the last two ingredients since we didn't have them on hand.)

Nutrition Breakdown
1 Servings (1 shake)
180 Calories per shake
5 g Fat
8 g Carbohydrate
6 g Sugar
30 g Protein
5 WWP+*
*Weight Watchers Points per serving

Shamrock Protein Shake
via Dashing Dish (Much more appetizing than mine!)




More green goodness! 
I'm a lucky lady. The Sailor has gone to great lengths to find me the perfect pair of kicks since I blogged about being such a big fan of his snazzy footwear. He picked out some for me on Zappos after reading all the reviews, which saved me the time, effort and decision-making agony of trying to find the perfect pair. The winner even is in my all time favorite color combo-- Love that man!  


Saucony Mirage 3

I tested them out this weekend and wasn't really sure what to expect with my first minimalist shoe. In fact, I wasn't really even sure if a minimalist shoe was right for me. I'm a heel-striker, so cushioning is kind of a big deal. But after reading Born to Run and a number of other running blogs, I figured I'd give the minimalist shoe a try (no, not those weird five finger things though). So far, so good!






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS