28 April 2012

Loafing Around: Banana Blueberry Bread

I got my day started early this morning and have already completed a bunch of domestic chores, including baking. (Our maid is on vacation this week) I suppose baking doesn't count as a "chore" though...

I'm clearly no Barefoot Contessa, Giada, Rachel Ray or Paula Deen. In fact, I probably fall more into the category of qualifying for The Worst Cooks in America. But the recipe below for Banana Blueberry Bread is a no-brainer. I whipped the ingredients together in about 15 minutes, and the bread bakes for an hour.





I started with the Joy of Cooking recipe for banana bread and made some minor tweaks--adding vanilla; substituting wheat germ for 1/2 c. flour; added 1/3 c. brown sugar and 1/3 c. regular sugar instead of 2/3 c. regular sugar; and I added a generous 1 c. blueberries.

The vanilla and blueberries really are the best part! As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, blueberry picking is an annual tradition at the Sailor's family camp. Last summer, we picked tons, which I put in the freezer to use throughout the year. You can do the same with store bought blueberries though.



So quick and easy to make. It fills the belly with warm yumminess to start the day! And, it's relatively healthy for a breakfast treat. I entered the ingredients into Myfitnesspal and here's the nutritional rundown:

155 calories
23 g. carbs
7 g. fat
3 g. protein


Banana Blueberry Bread

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together:
1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. wheat bran
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 salt

In the mixer combine until creamy:
6 T. butter
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla

Add:
1 or 2 eggs (I used 2)
2 ripe mashed bananas

Add dry ingredients in thirds. Fold in 1 - 1 1/2 c. blueberries. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake for an hour or until toothpick comes clean.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS