21 August 2013

Yee-Haw: Texas Talk

Hey, y'all! I know I've been neglecting my blog the past couple of weeks as a result of appointments for estimates to renovate the kitchen, travel for work, trying to fit in running and doing more yoga, and spending time in the evenings with the Sailor. So, there's a lot to catch up on!


I spent part of last week in San Antonio and absolutely loved it there! My time to see the sights was limited because of work obligations, but I managed to get in a couple of early morning runs along the River Walk and through the city.


The River Walk definitely lived up to the hype! Hotels, bars and restaurants line the downtown walkway while cypress trees and charming houses extend along the sections further out.

Tourists can take river boats cruises or walk along the stone path to check out the sights. Around holiday time, the bars, restaurants and shops are all decorated for Christmas, and the children sing carols from the river boats. Even though San Antonio is a city of over a million people and the seventh most populous city in the country, it has so much culture and charm! 

Coyote Ugly
The King William neighborhood has some prime real estate, nestled among a series of missions on the riverfront. As I took my walk/run each morning, I would see neighbors gathered on the bridge or at the entrance to the River Walk, chatting while sipping from their travel coffee mugs. Beautiful views and pleasant company-- what a great way to start the day!

"Around mid-nineteenth century that a great many Germans, who had immigrated to Texas in the 1840's, began to settle in this area, and it became known as "Sauerkraut Bend" to the rest of San Antonio.  The area developed into an idyllic neighborhood of large, impressive houses designed in the Greek Revival, Victorian, and Italianate styles. The main street into the neighborhood was given the name King William in honor of King Wilhelm I, King of Prussia in the 1870s."- City of San Antonio, Office of Preservation

King William - Norton-Polk-Mathis House

You'll recognize this next stop on the tour! The Alamo is probably the most famous site in San Antonio. I must confess that I did not "Remember the Alamo!" or rather remember all of the details. I only ran around Alamo Plaza, outside the walls of the fort reading the informational signs, and never actually made it inside. But I didn't miss much according to those who have toured--It's not nearly as impressive as the story of Davy Crockett, James Bowie  and others holding out for liberty for thirteen days.





The Alamo in the early morning sun.


I had some time to kill before boarding my plane to leave, so I wandered around LaVillita for a bit. The historic arts district has shops selling Mexican pottery, cowboy boots (no, I wasn't successful in finding a pair of python boots as I'd hoped), artwork, stained glass and metal crafts.




Each shop is housed in its own little building making a square, where San Antonio holds ballets, plays and all kinds of festivals from the International Accordion Festival (?!) to music concerts and car shows. 







Kind people, Tex-Mex and BBQ, lotsa' land, low taxes, jeans and boots and HOT, HOT, HOT weather-- The temps in the high-nineties (over one hundred with the heat index) were just perfect for me-- They're doing something right down there in the Lone  Star State! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS