27 April 2015

(Mostly) Natural Beauty Product Finds

Pregnancy has made me really pay a lot more attention to the ingredients in all of the beauty products I use daily. As I've run out of a product, I'll try to replace it with a brand that's free of parabens, phthalates or petrochemicals. Bonus if the replacement is not tested on animals and organic. I'm not going crazy making sure that everything is all natural, but I am a much more conscious shopper knowing that anything toxic I'm slathering all over my face and body can potentially get to the baby. 

So what will you find in my bathroom cabinets these days?





Pure Fuji Coconut Sugar Rub- $45-This has to be my favorite bath luxury ever! I received the mango scrub as a Christmas gift and have been absolutely loving everything about it. Heat it up by running it under hot water and let the fruity scent take you on a tropical escape. It's super moisturizing, and the scent stays on your skin all day. 



Honest Company Body Oil- $9.95- Prior to using the Honest Company body oil, I was a huge fan of Neutrogena Light Sesame Body Oil. I always thought it was more hydrating than lotion and loved that it wasn't greasy. When I used the last drop of my Neutrogena oil, there was no question about what brand I'd switch to- I was easily swayed by Jessica Alba's Honest Company advertising and marketing campaign that was everywhere! I was looking for natural, eco-friendly, paraben free products, and The Honest Company was top of mind. 

It's a little thicker yet has virtually no fragrance compared to the Neutrogena, but I'm still a huge fan. It's good quality oil for the price, and the packaging is SO much better than the Neutrogena that simply poured right out of the bottle. The Honest Company has a pump, making it much easier to control the volume (and mess from spillage!) 





Tarte Marujica Oil- $15- As I was looking around the Tarte site, this beautiful bottle caught my eye, and I was taken by the packaging. After a little research, I learned that Maracuja oil comes from passionfruit and is said to be anti-inflammatory and has anti-oxidant properties. On top of those benefits, it's been said to stimulate the cells that make collagen. Buh-bye wrinkles! But... I've been using it for a few weeks now, and meh...haven't noticed any positive results. I guess you can't really expect a miracle for $15! One of the criticisms of Tarte is that it is gimmicky and products don't live up to the hype-- oh, and many of their products are in fact not all natural, despite their claims. I'd say this oil falls into the "doesn't live up to the hype" category. 






Tarte Amazonian Clay Eye and Cheek Palette-$44- More gorgeous packaging! The textured palette case feels substantial and has a solidly-made clip that doesn't pop open in my make-up bag like some other brands. With six shadow colors and two 12-hour blushes, this case has every bit of color a girl needs! There are both matte and shimmery, as well as light or rich eye colors, that can take you from day to night. The blush shades seem universally flattering-- You need only a light hand with the blush since they're pretty dense. A definite must-have and a bargain in my book!  


DermOrganics Shampoo- $18/ 12 oz. Another product that's vegan, paragon and propylene glycol free, also sulfate free and gluten free (WHY??? in shampoo). Although it's likely supposed to be as close to fragrance free as possible, I found the scent of this shampoo to be nauseating. It has the consistency of glue and doesn't lather well, if at all. The one positive thing I can say is that it's thickening, which I don't necessarily need, but lots of people look for that in a shampoo. I would most definitely not buy this again. 
  





Burt's Bees Bee Gud Orange Petalooza Body Lotion and Mango Moonbreeze Body Lotion- $6.99- Drugstore bargain! I actually picked up the first bottle of Orange Petalooza at the Fresh Market when I was desperate one cold, winter night. It's really hydrating without being greasy and leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth. 





I've only been able to find the orange petalooza scent online since then though. With a citrusy floral (hyacinth) scent, it's both energizing and feminine. In a pinch, I grabbed the Mango Moonbreeze, scented with mango and jasmine, at Target. Definitely smells very tropical-- the jasmine is just a touch overpowering for my liking. 

I saved the best for last:
Lavera Self Tanning Lotion- $32- I searched high and low for the safest self tanner with the best results. I've only used this once so far, but I'm thrilled with the "tan". There was a pleasant, light floral fragrance when I applied it-- unlike most self-tanners. After a few hours though, I did recognize the unmistakeable scent of every self tanner I've ever tried, but it was far less offensive than most brands I've used in the past. It went on pretty evenly and didn't streak anywhere except around my ankles (likely due to the way I applied it!)




The best part is that I didn't turn orange-- after about two and a half hours, it developed into a healthy-looking bronze glow, which lasted about a week. 

Any beauty products that you've recently tried and would or would not buy again?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS