24 May 2016

Why didn't I think of that? Capsule Wardrobe and Life Hacks

I am so late to the party on this one-- The Capsule Wardrobe. The idea of having a limited number of articles of clothing that work together for each season is SO appealing these days. I know I have my favorites on rotation in my closet already, so I just need to commit to the capsule. Annnnd toss (or store) the many, many things I rarely wear...


As I look at the ways I've changed and my life has changed, I'm embracing simplifying. There just aren't enough hours in the day to maintain all kinds of "stuff," whether it's organizing, washing and folding tons of extra laundry or dusting once-meaningful knick-knacks cluttering every room of the house. The capsule wardrobe is all about lifestyle, and I'm ready to give it a try.





Caroline Roiter of Un-fancy has a primer on how to find your personal style and how to build a capsule. I think I have the personal style part figured out-- preppy, boho-- But there's also an app to help if you're still exploring what works best for your body type and your lifestyle. Project 333 also has a number of really helpful articles like How to Clean Out Your Closet for Good, How to Make Space and 5 Places To Find Inspiration for Your Capsule Wardrobe.



To go along with the simplifying theme, I've rounded up a few life hacks that I've filed away...

Beach Hacks
I'm dreaming of a beach vacation! We rented a charming little beach cottage at the end of June, and I cannot wait to spend a few days basking in the sun and seeing Sweet P experience the beach. These quick tips are going to keep the sand from sticking (sprinkle baby powder on your feet and legs before hitting the beach) and ease my sunburn. I'm much more careful than I used to be in the sun, but an aloe vera, avocado and honey face mask is sure to do the trick if I get a little too much of a good thing.



Make Up Tips: Small Tweaks Make a Big Difference
These make up tips are genius. Under the Make-Up Do's and Don'ts, you'll find a photo of me under "Don't." Wearing chalky white shadow because I read somewhere that it makes your eyes look open and makes you look more awake...Guilty. Nude lip because I thought it made my make up look more natural. Yup, that one too-- Guilty.

Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
When making hard boiled eggs, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the water to make peeling them easier. Heard that tip on a Geico radio commercial and then saw this article on the science behind it for all of you cooking enthusiasts (that's for you, Sailor). Eggs are right up there with peanut butter and mint chocolate as my favorite food. Eggs every day.

Keep Gift Wrap Organized
Loose gift wrap rolls- huge pet peeve! I've found a way to corral all of the rolls in our house in an old umbrella stand, but the paper still tends to loosen up. Tip: Cut an empty toilet roll in the middle and slip it around the wrapping paper.



Fixing Saggy Couch Cushions
I've never been one to sit around. It's pretty rare that I ever even sit and watch TV. But when P was a newborn, we logged an extraordinary amount of couch time feeding and snuggling. And our couch sure shows it. Need to make time to go get some batting and fluff those cushions up!

Share your favorite life hack in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS