22 April 2014

Green Mountains Escape

As I mentioned yesterday, the Sailor and I had a super-relaxing long weekend in Vermont. We broke up the short road trip by stopping to hit the Manchester outlets and the Long Trail brewery. Located on the banks of the Ottauquechee River, the brewery has a beautiful porch overlooking the water and offers a self-guided tour that takes just a few minutes.





Quick walk-through, and we were back on the road to our final destination- Woodstock, VT!

Woodstock really is a picturesque little village, but don't take my word for it--The Boston Globe called it "ridiculously pretty," and Ladies Home Journal named it the "Prettiest Small Town in America."




It has a very historical feel with homes lining the village green and exudes rural charm right down to all of the provisions in the general store and the covered bridges.



We stayed at the Woodstock Inn and Resort, originally built by the Rockefeller family. The spa, restaurants, common areas, wi-fi, fitness center and tennis courts make it more more resort than B&B or inn, but I was thrilled with the on-site conveniences.



The highlight of the Inn is definitely the Spa where both the Sailor and I spent most of the day on Saturday. I had a manicure, pedicure and facial, while he relaxed in the steam room and sauna. The aesthetician used the Clairsonic pro for my facial, and it lived up to the hype! I know I'm a little late to the game, but it truly did make my face feel cleaner.


Strange but true-- I also tried my first macaron at the spa! After the spa services, the therapist left a little treat of flavored water and a lavender french macaron with honey butter cream filling. I promptly began researching how to replicate the deliciousness when I got home last night, and I now understand why these delicacies are the "diva of the pastry world." I'm fairly certain that any attempt to bake macarons would end in failure (sort of like last week's inedible Paleo Banana Bread...my bad for trying to substitute coconut flour for almond flour).

via

What else did we eat? Our dinners were unremarkable, but we had a great lunch at Worthy Kitchen on Saturday afternoon. The Sailor appreciated the extensive beer menu...After much deliberation, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog and Finest Kind were the libations of choice.

  
And we shared the pickled veggie plate and a porchetta sandwich with peppadew relish, onions and smoked mustard aioli. Loved the pickled cauliflower but the green beans-- eh, not so much. 


The weekend went by in a flash. I would have loved to spend a couple more days in Woodstock touring the Simon Pearce glass factory, hiking the Quechee Gorge and exploring the Marsh-Billings- Rockefeller National Park. I have a feeling we'll be back though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS