20 January 2012

Creature Comforts

We all need a little pick-me up as the temperature drops and the winter weather sets in. Whether it's eating a big bowl of piping hot soup, sitting by a fire, cuddling under layers of warm, fluffy blankets, or wearing my favorite wool sweater, there are a few comforting things that keep me happy during these long months. 
When we were in Washington, DC earlier this winter, I was suffering from a pretty bad cold/sinus infection/case of the yucks. My nose and face were so dry that I undoubtedly looked like the little kids with the red noses on the Puffs commercials.

Stopping at Sephora in DC, I was desperate to find some products to ease my ailing skin. Even if I couldn't feel good, I still wanted to look good! The salesman, bless his heart, pointed me in the direction of two fabulous products- Philosophy's Hope in a Jar moisturizer and Clarins Cleansing Milk face wash. With "Alpine Herbs," it has a light botanical fragrance, and it's gentle enough to use every day.



$30, 7oz.
Sephora

Philosophy's Hope in a Jar has been a life saver- or rather skin saver! During the winter, whether sick or not, I usually get little dry patches of skin, but not with Hope in a Jar. It's lightweight, dries quickly and a little bit goes a long way. Plus, it is free of parabens, sulfates and all of that other bad stuff. It's pricey at $39 for 2 oz. but definitely worth the money.

$39, 2 oz.
Sephora

For many years, I had a list of sinful foods that I stayed away from. Hot fudge was  definitely one of those foods on the never-to-be-consumed list. But, boy, was I missing out! It's become a go-to pick-me-up, and it's all the more delicious after years of deprivation. Yum-my.




I've always been a big fan of the microwavable sacks filled with buckwheat, cherry pits, or a variety of other things. After two minutes in the microwave, the "bean," as The Sailor and I call it, is a miracle cure for sore muscles, bellyaches and cold bedsheets. I fell in love with these little warmers when I saw them- they're cozy fleece and knit covered, and scented with lavender and chamomile. And they come in a few cute animals- the owl (which I have); dog, cat, or duck.
Aromahome, $30


House of Webster makes all the things you'd need for a country breakfast- jams, preserves, buttermilk pancake mix, and bacon. Their jellies have all kinds of funny names- Scuppernong, Mayhaw, Muscadine- things I've never heard of. But they also have the old breakfast stand-by's, including my absolute favorite, Wild Blackberry.   
House of Webster, 3 pints- $27.95

Enjoy the things that comfort you this weekend! Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS