25 January 2018

Intention

A VERY belated Happy New Year, friends! Time is just flying by-- I can hardly believe it's been two (nearly three) months since my last post. Thanksgiving and Christmas have come and gone, and we're well into 2018 now!

Quick holiday recap- December was a month to remember. I read this post No Moving Target December before the holiday season and revisited it many times throughout the month. If you don't read the entire post, here's the takeaway:


"I don’t want to miss what really matters in the name of productivity, perfection, and busyness."




I made it intention to slow down and treasure the magical time of the holiday season. I took a huge step back from any and all media (highly recommend it!) and was very intentional about how I used my time and the people I spent my time with. Don't get me wrong, we did our share of entertaining during the holidays. Like a LOT of it. But I knew that the house didn't have to be perfect and the "to do" list didn't have to be complete.


In all honesty, I read No Moving Target December about slowing down and being present, and I set my intentions. Shortly thereafter, I went through a very personal experience that left me feeling totally helpless and could have kicked me into a loop of grief, feelings of overwhelm and loss of control.  But I trusted that what was meant to be would be and that I would be okay no matter what the outcome.

I took the time to listen to my body and rest when I needed it rather than when I was exhausted. I chose to quiet my mind, be present and trust that things are the way they are supposed to be at this moment when thoughts started spinning. I focused on self-compassion over judgment and adjusted my expectations of people and situations. I simplified and made space for connection.



A recent letter from an Australian woman who died from a rare form of cancer at the age of 26 has gone viral on Facebook. Despite her short time on earth, she gained a lot of wisdom about how to live, which she shared in the post. Most importantly, she stressed that each day is a gift. But let's not wait until our days are numbered to really start living. Begin today to live with intention and CHOOSE how, where, with whom you want to spend your days.

Living with intention is empowering. Be an active participant rather than drifting along to give value to your actions and purpose to your life. Practice becomes habit, and personal habits are the foundation for fulfillment. Here are some easy ways to start living with intention...

Stop comparing yourself to others. It's so easy to get caught in the comparison trap, and by "a trap," it's a never ending vicious cycle.Take a break from the highlights reel of social media. Think about what brings you joy, what's important to you, and try to be authentic to live your best life.

Take a few minutes at the beginning of the day to set the tone and mood you desire. Visualize how you want to feel today. Pick a word like "kindness," "patience," "equanimity." Or if you're really ambitious, write down an affirmation, a positive statement of something that you want to manifest.


Practice gratitude. A few years ago, I bought The Five Minute Journal. I have been less than consistent about using it daily (or even weekly or monthly), but I always find myself coming back to it when I renew my commitment to well-being.




Remember "This too shall pass."Whether it's a feeling of happiness or sadness, physical sensation or body, or possessions, everything is temporary. You don't have to feel stuck. The Buddha said:

When faced with all the ups and downs of life,
Still the mind remains unshaken,
Not lamenting, not generating defilements, always feeling secure, 

this is the greatest happiness.  


Check-in to make sure that your thoughts and actions are aligned. If things aren't going the way you want, do some self reflection and revisit your purpose. Where are you spending your energy? Is it on what's right in front of you screaming for attention or are you directing your energy-- thoughts and actions-- on your purpose?

I know today's post is a little different than the usual fashion, family, food, fun focus content here. I'm no spiritual guru, but I wanted to share some of the practices that have contributed to happier, more fulfilling days. Cheers to 2018!

1 comment:

  1. Academic Help & Info Tech aka AHIT is one of the successful ventures under the AHEC & Group's umbrella. AHIT assists its other ventures with all IT solutions and simultaneously fulfills its client’s demands. Starting from Domain Selling to Web/App Designing and Development and reaching up to a milestone with the help of its SEO Services is what AHIT is known about. Filling professional bids and delivering them on time has made AHIT's goodwill in the market within a short period of span.

    AHIT’s Entire Team always strives to provide the best solutions to its end users with quality services and products. We are pleased to announce that we have successfully delivered 108 projects to our users where website designing/development, SEO, and its outsourcing services were solely AHIT’s responsibility.

    Visit us:- https://www.ahitechno.com

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS